Workflow automation with Prescreen
Table of contents
Automated Workflows help your team to optimize the recruiting process by automating the repetitive and time consuming tasks. Define specific actions that should be automatically executed and in addition tie these actions to a variety of logical conditions and trigger points. What makes this feature really powerful is, that you can combine most of the triggers and conditions freely according to your needs which basically enables you to re-program how Prescreen should work for you.
There's a great variety of individual automation possibilities – figure out the automation needs within your recruiting process and experiment with Automated Workflows in Prescreen.
- Candidate Nurturing:
- If 2 days after creation the application is still not finished, send a motivating e-mail to candidate with a direct link to the application step, where they left off.
- If candidate, who's profile is tagged with "talent pool", updates their profile, send notification to responsible recruiter.
- Optimized screening process, automated rejections:
- If custom question X is answered with "No", change application status to "Rejection" with the reason "Missing qualification X" and send a message to candidate using a pre-defined message template.
- Notifications to recruiter and candidates:
- If candidate cancels their application, send a notification to job's main contact.
- If recruiting process is stuck in the status "New" for longer than 5 days, send a notification to candidate asking for patience.
- Invite to questionnaires at the right time:
- If application status is changed to "Hired", send an invitation to questionnaire "New employee" to candidate.
Define, which event should trigger the workflow execution. There are two trigger point types:
- Trigger a workflow directly after a certain event happens (e.g. Send a notification to job's main contact, when candidate cancels their application).
- Trigger a workflow a certain time after an event happens (e.g. Send a nurturing email to candidate, when the application status wasn't changed for longer than 10 days).
Pro Tip: Chain up several conditions within a group to make the context of automation even more precise (e.g. If application has been completed and custom question X has been answered with "No" AND job title is "Senior Java Developer", then set the application status to "on hold".)
|Condition||Logical operators + Values||Examples|
| Application creation date.
Date of application submission.
|IS, NOT, LESS THAN, GREATER THAN + Date||Application creation date GREATER THAN 01.01.2019.|
| Application status
Application status at the time when the automated workflow gets triggered.
| IS, NOT + Application status for each hiring process
Tip: If several statuses from different hiring processes should be used as conditions – create a condition group for each application status.
|Application status IS "ON HOLD" (Hiring process #1) OR "FEEDBACK" (Hiring process #2).|
Automatically tracked application source.
| CONTAINS, NOT CONTAINS + Text
Tip: Use parts of the referrer URL e.g. for the URL www.xing.com use CONTAINS + xing
|Referrer CONTAINS "xing" or "facebook" or "linkedIn".|
| Application type
Classifies the type of application.
|IS, NOT + Speculative, E-mail, Manually created||Application type IS "E-mail" and job IS "Senior Sales Manager" and Instance IS "MyCompany GmbH".|
| Application source
Application source, which candidate can submit during the application process or recruiter can add manually to the application.
|IS, NOT + Application source selection from your account||Application source IS "Employee referral"|
| Application canceled by
Defines, if the application was canceled by recruiter or candidate.
| IS, NOT + Recruiter, candidate
Tip: This condition is only available for the trigger "Application canceled".
|Application canceled BY "Candidate"|
Job title as context for workflow automation.
|IS, NOT + Select from the active jobs of your account||Job IS "Office Manager (m/f/x) - 40h"|
| Hiring process
Hiring process as context for workflow automation.
|IS, NOT + Select from hiring processes of your account||Hiring process IS "Standard"|
Instance as context for workflow automation.
|IS, NOT + Select from instances of your account||Instance IS "MyCompany GmbH"|
| Candidate city
Current city of residence of candidate.
|IS, NOT + City search with auto-complete by Google Maps||Candidate city IS "Berlin"|
| Candidate creation date
Date of registration in candidate center.
|IS, NOT, LESS THAN, GREATER THAN + Date||Profile creation date is GREATER THAN 01.05.2019 and LESS THAN 30.05.2019.|
| Custom question
Filter for custom question answers in candidate profile.
| Custom question selection + (Type: Number) IS, NOT, IS EMPTY, IS NOT EMPTY, LESS THAN, GREATER THAN + Number
Custom question selection + (Type: Selection) IS, NOT, IS EMPTY, IS NOT EMPTY
| Custom question "Salary expectation" GREATER THAN 7500.
Custom question "Ready to relocate?" NOT "Yes".
| Candidate age
Candidate age at the time of application.
|IS, NOT, LESS THAN, GREATER THAN + Number||Candidate age is GREATER THAN 16 and LESS THAN 18.|
| Candidate tag
Filter for candidate profile tags at the time of the workflow execution.
|IS, NOT, IS EMPTY, IS NOT EMPTY + Candidate tag selection from your account||Candidate tag IS NOT "Talent pool".|
| Message to candidate
Simulates the recruiter behavior: the message is sent in the name of the job's main contact and contains their signature. Candidates can answer this type of messages and the responses will be parsed toSimuliert das Recruiter-Verhalten.
|Define the text of the message to candidate. Use existing message template to pre-fill, placeholders are available as well.||Send a message to candidate with pre-defined content.|
| Notification to candidate
Simulates the system behavior: the message is sent in the name of your company and doesn't contain a signature. Candidates can't answer this type of messages (sent from a no-reply address).
|Define the text of the notification to candidate. Placeholders are available.||Send a notification to candidate with pre-defined content.|
| Invitation to questionnaire
Invite candidates to submit questionnaires at the right time.
|Select from the list of the available questionnaires in your Prescreen account.||Invite candidates to the "Coding Challenge" questionnaire, when the application status for the Job "Senior Web-Developer" is changed to "TEST".|
| Notification to recruiter
An internal notification to users of your Prescreen account. This type of message doesn't support reply parsing (sent from a no-reply address).
| 1. Select if a notification should be sent to the job's main contact only or to the actively involved job team members as defined by the status notifications in the hiring process.
2. Define the message content. Placeholder can be used.
| Send a notification to job's main contact.
Send a notification to actively involved job team member.
With Webhooks you can export application information from Prescreen to external systems (POST request in JSON format). More information about Webhooks.
|Add a Webhook URL from the service you would like to transfer data to.||Send application information to Zapier using a Webhook.|
| Change application status
Trigger an automatic rule based application state change.
| Define the status and the reason. The selection is available per Bestimmen Sie, welcher Status und mit welcher Begründung pro Recruiting-Prozess gesetzt werden soll.
Tipp: Wenn Sie mit Job oder Recruiting-Prozess spezifischen Bedingungen gearbeitet haben, werden Sie nur einen Status (spezifisch für den Kontext-Job oder Recruiting-Prozess) bestimmen können.
|Change application status to "REJECT" with the reason "Missing driving license", if the custom question "Driving license" was answered with "None".|
| Add tag
Rule based tag assignation for candidate profiles.
|Wählen Sie aus der Liste der verfügbaren Kandidaten-Tags Ihres Accounts.||Füge Tag "Talentpool" hinzu.|
Managing automated workflowsIn Account > Automated Workflows you can manage your automated workflows:
- Create new workflows.
- Edit, activate or deactivate existing workflows.
- You can activate up to 15 workflows at the same time. The amount of deactivated workflows is unlimited.
- Automated workflows can not be deleted for the documentaion reasons (the execution and change history can help to understand the automatically executed decision).
- Check executions and change history in the activity log:
- Change history: Understand, who and when did changes to the workflow.
- Execution history: Understand, which applications were influenced by the automated workflow. In the activity log of the application you will as well see a respecting entry.
With the activation of the automated workflows feature for your Prescreen account, you will get three dummy workflows created automatically. These best practice examples enable an easy onboarding for the new feature and help you to learn to work with it. The dummy workflows are deactivated by default. You can edit the trigger points, conditions and actions and activate the workflows at any time.
- Candidate nurturing: Send a follow-up notification to candidate, if the application is not finished 2 days after it's been created.
- Rejection mails: Send a rejection mail to candidate, if the application status was changed to "Rejected".
- Application canceled: Send a notification to job's main contact every time an application gets canceled by candidate.